Friday, July 27, 2012

Tri, Tri, Tri Setting Goals

It was easy for me to forgot how successful I am when I set and work towards my goals.  I am not talking about the: I will lose 57 pounds.  I am talking about the: I will  lose 5 pounds by the end of this month goals.  Sure, I have a master goal set, but I also have mini goals (short term goals) set to help me achieve the master goal.  These mini goals were really keeping me going the first few months I was on Weight Watchers.  Then for some stupid reason (failing to plan), I wasn't seeing the results I was seeing the first few months. 

Deep down I thought that I had this counting PPV, being conscious of the types of foods I am eating, and exercising mastered.  BAHAHAHA!!!  I was WRONG!  It is funny (not) how you think you have everything under control, and you really don't.  I wasn't cheating the PP system; I was really cheating myself. There is a reason that after you reach your goal in WW they consider you Lifetime, and encourage you to weigh in at least monthly.  I digress.

Before my spiral out of control, I thought, "April, all you have to do is exercise more and the weight should just come off."  Weight Watchers staff thought that I wasn't losing weight, because my body was adjusting to my new work out schedule.  I wasn't forthright with the fact that I wasn't tracking or setting goals.

A couple months ago, I signed up for the Lazyman Triathalon at my YMCA.  Really, it is not that difficult to do.  I had 6 weeks to bike 112 miles, run or walk 26.3 miles, and swim 2.5 miles (or row 13.1 - I opted to do the rowing).  It seemed overwhelming at first.  I didn't want to sign up, because what if I did not finish?   What would that say about me?  Well, the nice, encouraging staff at my Y was very encouraging in getting members to sign up.

Desk Attendant: "Would you like to sign up for the Lazyman Triathlon?'
Me: "I don't know."
DA: "You have 6 weeks to complete it, and there are different exercises to do if you can't do the traditional tri exercises." 
Me: I am more of a take a class type of person.
DA: "Taking Group Cycling will count towards the cycling portion and any water fitness class will count towards the swimming portion."
Me: "Hmm... I still don't know."
DA: "It's free and you get a shirt once you complete it"
Me: "OK"

When I got home from my work out, I reviewed the card she gave me.  I thought, "This won't be so daunting if I break it up into what I need to accomplish each week."  So, out came my handy dandy calculator app.  I broke it down to: 4.3 miles of walking/18.7 of cycling/2.25 rowing a week.  Very achievable and less daunting.  My nightly dog walks easily add up to over 4.3 miles over a week.  I bike 10-14 miles 2x a week at the Y.  Rowing - was new to me.  I did seriously consider taking the water fitness classes (3 would have completed swim requirement), but there were no water fitness classes offered when I am available to take them (darn work getting in the way ;)).

About a month ago, I met with a trainer at they gym, and she showed me how to use the rowing machine. They looked prehistoric to me, so I was sure that I wouldn't be able to figure them out on my own.  Good think my trainer has a good sense of humor.  She did not laugh at me, but she enthusiastically encouraged me to try it out.  She took me through how to set the machine up, and it is much easier than any other piece of cardio equipment in the gym.  I quickly learned that I could row 2000 meters in 15 minutes.  That is over a mile, because 1,600 meters = 1 mile.  So thirty minutes on the rowing machine a week would certainly help me reach the goal of completing the tri. 

This triathlon was really what helped me not lose total control.  I was working towards fulfilling the requirements to finish the triathlon, because I told the other members at my meeting that I signed up.  I couldn't let my WW friends down or think that I am not doing a good job. 

Photography done by a 6 year old who can't hold still.
The weekly breakdown of exercises were the mini goals I was setting for myself every week.  Really, they were not enough for my journey.  It took a swift kick in the pants (figuratively) from my loving husband for me to realize that I was about to fail myself.  I am not going to get into the details of the conversation, but what he said to me kicked me into overdrive.  I weighed myself.  I was still up from my lowest WW weigh-in weight a month prior.  This was Sunday.  I vowed to track every morsel I put in my mouth.  I vowed to make my work outs count.  I just had to do these two things until I weighed in on Thursday.  I was very committed to both of these things.  It showed when I stepped on the scale.  I was down 2.4 pounds.  I had lost the weight I gained back plus a little more.  I will take that! 
The weekly breakdown of exercises were the mini goals I was setting for myself every week.  Really, they were not enough for my journey.  It took a swift kick in the pants (figuratively) from my loving husband for me to realize that I was about to fail myself.  I am not going to get into the details of the conversation, but what he said to me kicked me into overdrive.  I weighed myself.  I was still up from my lowest WW weigh-in weight a month prior.  This was Sunday.  I vowed to track every morsel I put in my mouth.  I vowed to make my work outs count.  I just had to do these two things until I weighed in on Thursday.  I was very committed to both of these things.  It showed when I stepped on the scale.  I was down 2.4 pounds.  I had lost the weight I gained back plus a little more.  I will take that! 

In all seriousness, I can truly attribute the loss to buckling down and creating mini goals.  Breaking the big goal apart into manageable sections - just like I did with the Lazyman.  When I falter, I need to remind myself to get back on track with 1. Setting mini goals, 2. Tracking food, and 3. Exercise.

To keep the streak of shedding weight going, I will create 2-3 mini goals a week.  Here are mine for this week.
1. I will work out 6 days this week.
2. I will create a menu for the week.
3. I will track everything I put into my mouth.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment