Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Whirlwind vacay

Vacations are a good thing.  Especially, when you can truly relax.  What I find relaxing may be completely different from what you find relaxing.  The painful part of a vacation for me is returning to reality.  I just took a 4 day week end to spend time with my in-laws.  This morning was probably one of the most painful mornings ever.  I did not even have to get my daughters ready, they stayed behind with Amma.  I had a hard time getting out of bed.  I knew this would happen, so I penned in my day planner to run after work.  Besides, Dazie was still at the doggy motel this morning, so I would have felt guilty running without my running partner J
I sat at work struggling to stay awake.  I know deep down that moving will help me with my energy level.   During break I read an article on preventing running injuries.  It was all about stretching!  Two of the injuries I have experienced.  When I read about a new to me stretch that should be done to counter plantar factious, I did it in my office.  After doing toe scrunches, I noticed my energy level climb.  “If moving my toes could make such an improvement, what would a bigger stretch to a bigger area do to my energy level?”  I got down on all fours and did some cat and cow poses.  Not only did it feel good, it dramatically helped my energy level!

I know you are wondering what I did to relax that was so draining.  I ran part of a 5K race (made a wrong turn),  jet ski-ed, went boating, socialized with family, ate, stayed up late, consumed a lot of alcohol, and spent a lot of time in the car on the way home.  There was more too.  There was a bridal shower.  And I can’t forget the 2nd annual scavenger hunt.  The scavenger hunt took me up and down a boat load of stairs twice, sprinting around my in-laws house, on my hands and knees looking for clues, and to be the first person to find the coveted fish!  My partner was the future bride, and this was her 2nd year of winning the fish!  I was a sweaty hot mess.

I honestly tried to run tonight.  Things did not work out that way :( My four-legged running buddy isn't feeling well and it is storming.  It gave me an opportunity to do yoga, which I think my body is craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment