Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Starting Out on a Fitness Journey

***I am not a fitness expert***

My husband has decided to start exercising more regularly.  He asked to accompany me to the Y on Friday.  He admitted to me that he had no clue what to do.   I asked him what his goals are.  Basically, he wants to improve his health.  At this point, I have no idea what to tell him to do, because I do not have any personal training experience.  I became really frustrated, because I am not an expert in this field.  I do not want to lead him down a wrong path.  I kept thinking that men’s bodies are so different than women’s bodies.  Heck, from woman to woman there are differences in what will work.

After stewing about it for a couple of days, I remembered my many attempts at a healthy lifestyle.  When we were engaged, I joined the YMCA our community.  They had a new member service where you got so many free consultations and a customized work out plan.  The trainer I worked with then said she likes to start all the fitness newbies to commit to 30 minute cardio sessions 2-3 times a week.  After a month, she will evaluate how you are doing, meet with you, and incorporate strength training to your work out program. I did discuss this with DH.  He agreed to do 30 minutes 3 times a week.  I encouraged him to meet with a personal trainer at the Y.  I should have introduced him to the one I used. 

I had a friend as me how I determine what to do when I work out.  Well, it has been an evolutionary process.  I started just taking classes.  I tried all the ones I thought I would like.  Even, some that I thought I would not like.  If I couldn’t make a class, I would go to the fitness center and use the stationary bike.  I didn’t see any progress, so I took advantage of the fitness consultation.  I learned how to use more equipment and the weight machines.  The trainer showed me how to do new exercises.  I stuck to the things she showed me for awhile, as I was intimidated by stepping outside of my comfort zone.  Mind you this was only a few months ago.  Remembering that time is now helping me see my husband’s point of view.  “Slow and steady wins the race,” after all.

Lately, I have been getting exercise inspiration from Pinterest, SparkPeople, and magazines.  I set a schedule that I kind of follow.
Monday: 60 minutes of cardio
Tuesday: Water Tabata
Wednesday: Off
Thursdays: 45-60 minutes of cardio/strength training
Friday: 60 minutes of cardio
Saturday: 45 minutes of cardio followed by muscle tiring strength training.
Sunday: 60 minutes of cardio

If I miss a day, I don’t dwell on it and move on.  I try to be conscious that I don’t miss too many days in a row, so I don’t regress too much.  I have come so far, having muscle definition I never had before, and I don't want to lose it!

No comments:

Post a Comment